Wednesday, June 2, 2010

For the Love of an Owl


At the moment, I am going through a process of grieving. But I know I am not alone in this grief, it is a collective grief that is also tinged with great joy. I know that this sounds strange, but it is the most profoundly complex experience I have ever been through in my whole life.

Three months ago, I stumbled across a Ustream site of the owl box of Molly the Owl in San Marcos, California. This particular owl box was being recorded by the Royals: Carlos and Donna, with the technical help of grandson Austin. It was a drab, wet, autumn Saturday morning when I stumbled across it. And I was immediately transfixed. Here was this majestic mother barn owl, tending to (at that stage) three tiny little pink scrawny owlets, with two more eggs to go. I watched as she would settle herself over the owlets, and gently, with those mighty talons of hers, turn the eggs.

And just before Easter, I got to witness the hatching of the final owlet, Wesley. Having started to make friends in the owl box community, we were cheering for little Wesley to make her entrance into the world. It was the first hatching I have ever witnessed of any type of bird and I know that as Molly gently helped Wesley out of the egg a collective cheer went up. And we watched as the owlets all grew extraordinarily fast, exchanging their tiny pinkness for downy fluff, learning how to feed themselves and eventually making steps towards the outside world.

The past two weeks we have seen Max, Austin, Pattison and Wesley all fly out of the box and start to make the transition into their adult lives. And it has been a joyous occasion...but also very hard. We celebrate the fact that they have been able to survive and thrive. One of the other boxes lost two owlets in the space of 24 hours. We celebrate that they are all beautiful and different and are adding to the owl population in the area. But we will miss watching them.

One of the things that blew me away about this experience was the sheer strength of love that was felt for these birds. They will never know that millions of people were there, cheering them on and loving them unconditionally. And that love also spread to the MOD (Molly Obsessive Disorder) community- many people met, many people became friends and we all became an extraordinary worldwide family. I know the sociologists at my university would have a field day with this phenomenon! When people were ill, we rallied around them. People lost pets and family members during this time and we were there to comfort them because we understood and we looked out for them. There was a bit of conflict, but you get that in any community. But just that sheer force of love...if a few thousand of us can generate that for six owls...imagine what the whole world could do for one another.

It is hard saying goodbye to the owls but they have our hearts with them and we are thrilled that they have grown up healthy and happy and ready to soar on the clouds.

8 comments:

Naomi Santoro said...

You captured the experience in all its essence beautifully! Well said.

Anonymous said...

Lynnaire, you are not alone in your feelings about this experience. How many lives have been transformed to one degree or another may never be known. One thing is certain, however: the bonds that have developed among the people who shared this experience will strengthen and grow. Sort of like the owlets. Thank you for expressing yourself so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Lynnaire, you are not alone in your feelings about this experience. How many lives have been transformed to one degree or another may never be known. One thing is certain, however: the bonds that have developed among the people who shared this experience will strengthen and grow. Sort of like the owlets. Thank you for expressing yourself so beautifully.

owlcoholic4life said...

Lynnaire,

Your words have touched me deeply, just as you have touched me as a person. May all of our owlets, along with Molly and McGee prosper for many years to come. And hopefully one day return to bless the world again with their innocence and grace. While they have brought so much joy to so many people, knowing that they are ready to leave us is so wonderful for them, yet so sad for all of us. I wish human people could grace the world with as much unconditional love as Molly and her family has graced us with.

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your thoughts here. We love you and always will. MODS forever.

As it Is said...

Thank you very much for posting this wonderful experience. I too am so grateful for this wonderful time I have had watching these little eggs develop into owlets then full grown owls. I cherish the times I have spent with them, making new friends, sharing tears and moments of laughter. The people that I have met in the whole experience have been incredible. My heart as well feels so heavy as each night, wondering who will be the next to fledge for good. Will this be the last time I see them tonight. Life is like this and this a mother nature at her best. We've witnessed four healthy owlets and must send them off with our blessings. I'll cherish these moments forever and am very grateful for the gifts we have received in friendships made.
*hugs*
Forrest Song

SafetyGirl said...

Thank you for your comments, everyone! It has been such a profoundly beautiful experience.

Anonymous said...

Lynnaire, what a beautiful sentiment - if a few thousand of us can generate that for six owls...imagine what the whole world could do for one another.

If only a few walk away from the experience with a new found view of nature, the world will be a better place. Let's hope we can pull our hearts together to make this world a bit brighter. Goodness knows, we need it.

Lynn Vierra said...

Lynnaire,
Thank you for leaving your heartfelt message & inviting others to leave their messages too. This has been an amazing experience for millions of people & lots of us have lots of new friends from the chats & social streams. I didn't get to go to any of the gatherings or picnics, but had fun none the less chatting with others who didn't get to go too.
This wonderful family of owls has brought so many people together to share in their amazing story. And we can thank Carlos & Donna for their generosity in sharing it with us. I have been here since the beginning & am quite hooked..I think they call that MOD. Yes, that's me! I don't sit at my computer all day, but I check in on them when I get up & when I get home from work, sometimes staying until the wee hours of the morning, afraid I'm going to miss something exciting happening.
As I'm sure lots of other people do too.
I hope this owl family all have a chance to have families of their own & perch in Carlos's box or palm tree! Seriously though, I am so very touched by the sharing & caring that has gone on in the chats & social stream, I feel like I have a whole new family of friends that really care about each other. Thanks for the memories...